Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Life

Last night I was flipping through the Message and came to the introduction for Ecclesiastes. I appreciated the words of description and thought them good to share. So, here goes... "Unlike the animals, who seem quite content to simply be themselves, we humans are always looking for ways to be more than or other than what we find ourselves to be. We explore the countryside for excitement, search our souls for meaning, shop the world for pleasure. We try this. Then we try that. The usual fields of endeavor are money, sex, power, adventure, and knowledge. Everything we try is so promising at first! But nothing ever seems to amount to very much. We intensify our efforts- but the harder we work at it, the less we get out of it... But it is most emphatically and necessarily in the Bible in order to call a halt to our various and futile attempts to make something of our lives, so that we can give our full attention to God- who God is and what he does to make something of us... {The author's} task is to expose our total incapacity to find the meaning and completion of our lives on our own... Ecclesiastes sweeps our souls clean of all "lifestyle" spiritualities so that we can be ready for God's visitation revealed in Jesus Christ..." ~ The Message Nothing new to you, but it is articulated well, don't you think? We are known by One who accepts us as we are. We are loved just because we are His. He knows the plans He has for us, good and prosperous plans of a hope and future. Our times are in His hands.

1 comment:

3LandSemeur said...

Thanks, Sis. That last line has been a repeated prayer of mine recently. You wrote it out for me in pretty letters on nice paper I think you specially cut for me. I keep getting the message over and over to do just this: give our full attention to God and particularly His presence, which connects us to Him. Maybe because I'm hard-headed, or maybe because there are so many other messages that want to snatch that one away. Either way, thanks again for this. Nice to have a post from you! (I'm one to talk!)