Yeah, so I don't like the subject but just not coming up with anything else. This morning when I woke up it was raining out. On the one hand, it was so nice to listen to as I laid in the bed. On the other hand, I was supposed to be playing tennis an hour and a half later. Shortly after it stopped and the sun came out. Mmmm... would the courts be dry though? We decided to just give it a shot.
I was the first to get there and the only reason we got a court was because it was full of puddles. The courts have a clever method of drying the puddles. Perhaps it is common among tennis courts. But, I have never seen them. They are carpet pieces connected to a rope that you just pull over the puddles. My first suspicion when I used one, was "oh, come on, like this is really gonna work!" I am very happy to be proven wrong on this one. We were able to spread the water enough not to ruin the balls. Over the course of our play the wind and the sun did the rest.
We enjoyed ourselves as usual. Then, something neat happened. Side note: the park consists of several tennis courts, two baseball fields, a skateboard rink, and a playground. Some super cute children were learning baseball next to us. But, apparantly there was a "real" baseball game playing as well. Next thing we know, the star spangled banner begins. And, EVERYONE with the pee wee game, onlookers, tennis courts, and baseball field all stopped what we were doing and turned toward the flag and gave our attention until it was finished and told us to play ball:). (the skaters were the only ones missing out). I took it in, knowing one day we may not have the national anthem sung. I realized what a joy it would be to be able to hear it playing. I listened like one who had been deprived though I have not. And, it was good. I was glad for our freedom... the land of the free... and I prayed along with the words... the home of the brave. May it be so.
We finished up our tennis. Then, Robby and Gisella invited me to lunch at Two Dudes. I ordered a mango crab quesedilla and yes, it was delicious. We spent the time in conversation. They suggested setting me up with someone. I informed them I did not want to live in Florida. Later in conversation we decided it would be fun to have a gullah night and paint ourselves black and attempt speaking in gullah. Okay, so that was my idea, but they liked it. I told Robby he had to check out the clip on Meet Joe Black where Brad Pitt busts out in perfect gullah. We finished up and on the way out Gisella (originally from Germany) asked for a to-go cup for her beer so Robby could take it home. We informed her that you can't actually do that. Then, Robby joked to the waitress, "Oh, you can just stick it in the fridge. We'll be back in a few days." (They are regulars). It was a nice morning. Thankful for them.
Happy 4th of July, Sis!
13 years ago

6 comments:
Sis, this is highly entertaining. So, comments: first, when I read your title, I liked it (and subconciously thought it was something I would write)...and then I read your first line. Crash! (That's an inside pun--nyuck, nyuck). Speaking of puns, love the one at the end of the first paragraph. You probably didn't even mean to b/c you're so talented that way. Anyway, yeah--the aparatus is not new, but glad it surprised you. Cool about the Star-Spangled Banner. Hilarious about Robby and Gisella--the name of the restaurant, your gullah idea, and G's to-go request. Ha! The quesadilla sounds num. About not wanting to live in Florida...ironic. I remember a younger version of you saying "When I grow up, I want to live in Florida." I mean, don't get me wrong. I'd love you to be in Charleston. I'm just sayin'... Okay, this comment is quite unorganized, but you speak my language...right? ;)
Unorganized has its moments:). And, when I was a child I used to say that IF I had to live anywhere besides SC it would be Florida... which was Disney World, Sea World, Marine Land, and Palm Beach to me... just sayin;)
Well, hey...you got your first choice! I still think it's cool. And if you're serious about the Charleston dream, you might want to settle for Jacksonville and Gainesville. Know what I mean? ;)
Charleston dream?
Charleston dream?
Charleston dream=your desire to be in Charleston. I guess I spoke too soon about you speaking my language. ;)
Post a Comment