Monday, July 25, 2011

My Side of the Story

So, I really regret quickly mentioning our middle-of-the-night adventure over the phone to you. It would have made for a great post. Since it was so eventful and all, I decided I would just write out the story for you. So, here's how it went down...

As you know, the four of us each have our own cars here at the house in Jacksonville. Two of the roomates park in the driveway. Two of us park on the street. This way we do not block each other in. Last week, both Shay and Leslie were out of town. So, Joanna and I both parked our cars in the driveway, which I never do. What I did not know is that Shay was coming back a day early. She came in right around bedtime on Saturday and I gave her a hug and then went to bed in the next little bit. We all must have been tired because none of the three of us woke up to hear the loud crash outside of our house. I would like to think I would have heard the beeper go off (probably) since I was on call! But, I managed to sleep straight through the crash, but then woke up not long afterward to a loud knocking sound. Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!

Mmmm, is Shay knocking on my door? What is going on? Something must be wrong? When I came out there was no Shay. But, there was a young man knocking at the door. I was so sleepy that when I saw this man that I don't know I made a puzzled face (a mmm, I-don't-know-you face) and turned around to go back to my bed. He saw me through the window and said, "Wait! I'm your neighbor." I think you may have met him when you got locked out come to think of it:). Anyway, he explained to me that someone had hit the gold cavalier parked on the side of the driveway and the police were on the way. I knew Joanna drives a black car and Leslie's car was in the garage, so that left Shay. So, I went into Shay's room, who has a reputation for being hard to wake up. I wanted to shake her leg enough to wake her but not to scare her. So, I gently placed my hand on her leg and gave a firm touch and said, "Shay..." Her eyes opened. Good! "Do you have a gold cavalier?" Yes. "Okay, our neighbor just knocked on the door to tell us it has been hit. They think the person did not get away. The police are on their way." She got up and out to the scene. I went back into my bedroom to try to sleep. I was still on call for another 30ish hours and knew I should try to sleep since there was nothing I could do anyway. The police and firetrucks came. Throughout the night there was a lot of noise, lights, conversations. It was pretty crazy. Reminded me a lot of the canine chase around the house in Gainesville you got to experience. It was a pretty crazy event when you think about it. But, we all were a little nonchalent about it, mostly out of fatigue and just plain necessity. But, at the end of last night, the three of us were sitting in the den. We all agreed that was pretty weird!

3 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

Hilarious! I mean, in an unfortunate kind of a way. Sorry for Shay that happened, but maybe a bonding experience for the three of you?
Yes, if it's the neighbor directly across from the tree in your yard, I did meet him. He's nice. In fact, that's two brownie points for him as he offered to help me that day I was hanging out on my cooler in the "shade" and now for presumably calling the police and informing y'all of the situation.
I'm curious to hear more of the story. Glad y'all are okay, sis.

Ashley said...

Well, he wasn't just being nice. The crash woke he and his girlfriend up straight out of bed and his mailbox was creamed to the ground. But, yes, I definately consider him a good neighbor:).

3LandSemeur said...

Oh snap! (Do we ever intend our puns? ha!) I didn't notice it when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Guess they got it fixed. I still think he's nice. :) I was totally trying to play off sitting in the scorching heat on my cooler under the one tree in your yard and avoid eye contact, and he made a point to come over and ask if I was okay AND invite me to cool off inside). Ha! If trees had cameras! No...not really...