Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Sound of the Trumpet

I found strength in Nehemiah's story this week. He mourned, fasted, prayed. He approached the king, though afraid, he boldly made his requests and "because the gracious hand of God was upon him, the king granted his requests." Others joined him for the work and they were greatly opposed. They mocked and ridiculed them. His answer: The God of heaven will give us success... and you don't have any share in it, he told them. So many people came together. Progress. So, "they" (the bad guys) became angry and "greatly incensed." In front of everyone they made fun of God's people and His work. Nehemiah prays and the people work with all their might!!! But their strength is giving out, there is so much rubble that they cannot build the wall. Plus their enemies say they will kill them and end their work. Then, their neighbors tell them "ten times over" that they will be attacked no matter which way they turn. Nehemiah tells them not to be afraid. Fight for your brothers, sons, daughters, wives, homes.

The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely seperated from each other along the wall. Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us! Nehemiah 4:19-20

So, they continued in the work. Half of the men with spears from first light of day til dark of night. They worked by day and guarded by night. Their weapons remained on them at all times. Accusations and threats are made. Nehemiah responds that nothing of the sort is happening. They are making it up. The enemies tried to frighten the people thinking, "their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed.

But I prayed, Strengthen my hands. (6:9b)

A man was hired to intimidate Nehemiah and have him to run away. He would not go.

So, the wall was completed on the twenty fifth of Elul, in fifty two days. When all the enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God.

3 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

Mmm, thanks for writing this, sis. I can't help but see a parallel between Nehemiah and Esther---she also exercised boldness to approach the king (husband or not). She also fasted and prayed. She also led the entire nation of Israel into victory.
I think sometimes since I know the end of these stories, I forget how scary and risky it was for this man and woman to do what they did.
The other thing that stands out is the trumpet. I don't think I've ever noticed it much in this story, so thanks. I think you know what the trumpet means to me, so I won't go on about that except...
While I was in T, as you can imagine, I would hear a "cry" five times each day. The point, of course, is to "command" (or ask) everyone to pray at these times, in an attempt to be faithful (at least that's how I understand it to be).
So, my fourth night there, I read 1Thessalonians 4:16 "For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first."
I can only imagine the contrast of the sound described in these verses with what I heard...

Praise God that He fights for us. Praise Him that He helps us with the work He asks us to do. Onward, Christian soldier...onward, Ashley!

Ashley said...

Three times in my life I have told the Lord that I must be mistaken (in the wrong place) because it is too intense. While it is true there have been times in my life that I have been in over my head without reason, these three times He has told me that it is intense and that it is the way. So, strengthen my hands, O Lord. And may I hold onto the true goal in all of this...So glad for His mercy.

Ashley said...

...And I wouldn't have it any other way:).