Saturday, April 25, 2009

3 a.m.

Sometimes I am leaving for a birth at this hour. Sometimes we are having a baby at this hour. Sometimes I am getting home from a birth at this hour. But, last night I was lying awake in my bed at 3 a.m. because I had a Starbucks frappacinno at 9:00. Guess whose idea it was? Mine. Not only did I get a frappacinno but the whipped cream and caramel icing. Good thing I declined when he offered extra caramel dripping!

Laura got into town last night. We were to go on the Art Walk downtown. We ended up changing our minds for a couple of reasons. So, I showed her the stadium- it was amazing as usual. We looked at the movies, but decided Monsters vs Aliens was more of an at home, not $9 maybe we'll like it, maybe not movie and the Solist was too late. So, we walked down to Starbucks. Usually I ask for decaf. They have worked it out in the past. But last time they gave me a yucky "cream based" drink that I did not like. So, why not get what I want? I figured I might be up a couple of extra hours, but at least I would like my treat. As the hours rolled by I remembered the last time I ordered caffeine at night and layed awake for hours. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again for a while. We ended up to a later start today, but enjoyed ourselves. Mmmm... I might lie down for a wink or two.

8 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

Ha! This is definitely my twin's blog! I don't do caffeine (usually) after 1 or 2 PM for the same exact reason. Frappacinno, huh? I don't know the difference between all those drinks. Sounds like a cappucino frapped? Whatever that is...

Mmm, having flashbacks to our Moose Mountain days. Paul would get an iced moccachino (right?) every Tues/Thurs, and EVERY single time I'd ask to try it, thinking for sure I'd like it that time. If only I had that much persistence with the things that count, huh?

Sounds like a good move with the movie idea. I've been really wanting to see a film called Slumdog Millionaire. Don't know if it showed in the US b/c it's British. Sounds like my kind of movie--intense, true story, wake-up call to what's going on in the world kind.

Anyway, got to get to studying. Glad you had a good time with Laura. Oh, by the way, like the title. Sounds "Switchfootish."

Ashley said...

I had no idea you have the same problem. At the birth center, they tell me I will be drinking coffee soon. But, why force myself to become addicted to something that I don't even like that much that is not good for me? I will stick to chocolate!

A frappacino reminds me of the drinks Paul used to get. They are slushy- which is why I just had to have one for a treat:).

Today is Frederick and Susie's anniversary- two years!

3LandSemeur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
3LandSemeur said...

It makes me laugh that we respond to our comments. Anyhow, snap, I totally missed Frederick and Susie's anniversary--doh!

Funny that you didn't know I had the same problem, and scary how much we're alike. What I mean is I had the same exact attitude/response toward coffee a few years ago. After living in France, though, well, I do like coffee. I'm a tea (mostly herbal) drinker myself, but if it's the AM or with dessert (before noon), I'll have a coffee.

Used to be strictly decaf, but I hear the stuff's not good for you unless it's naturally decaf, which is hard to find. I try not to get bent out of shape about it, but it does make me think twice before I order a decaf. Doesn't really stop me, though. Kind of like sugarless gum--okay, I'm changing the subject now (too sensitive of a subject;). I don't know the name of the drink Paul got, but it was an iced coffee drink.

Okay, well, bis spaeter, sis!

Ashley said...

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that most often I am SLEEPING at 3a.m!

Speaking of responding to comments you might want to check out some of your older posts...

Bis spaeter!
(what does that mean?)

Paul Stender said...

Well, I guess I have to join in the conversation and solve this great debate about the Moose Mountain drink I was addicted to for the better part of our senior year. I believe it was actually a frappe mochaaccino: the perfect blend of chocolate and caffine for a hot day in Charleston. There is nothing like feeding two addictions with one tasty frothy drink. Those were the days.

I was just thinking about the time we ran over that log in your car. Hilarious! What fun we had. Thanks for sharing your blog with me. It looks like a great way to see how you two are doing. I'm sure we'll talk again soon. Schönen Tag noch!

Ashley said...

Man, we could write an entire blog on our memories! That is funny that you mentioned the log. I think of that often. I still remember hitting it and how the car just was sitting in the air on top. You got out and helped the guys who stopped in front of us get the car off. I stayed with the steering wheel. I can't remember if Anne stayed with me or went with you. Did you remember that this was the same night we had to void our purchase at walmart because we forgot to tally up prices and we told the people behind us to go to a different register and they were all mad at us because no other registers were open. One particularly mad lady hit you with the door on our way out while you were waiting for your gumball to make its way down the machine? And all this to get beads for the stairway for spirit week so we could beat the Juniors and our beads only made two strands. Yes, those were the days!

3LandSemeur said...

Hey, Paul! Thanks for clearing that up for us. Way to be diplomatic and let us both "win"--not that we're competitive or anything.

Yes, I was just reminiscing about the log, too! Ha! It's a miracle we made it through high school in once piece. (Then again, I guess some of us left with fewer teeth--real ones anyway. :)

Oh, by the way, sehr gut Deutsch. Where'd you learn it? Tchuss!