Tuesday, September 23, 2008

They used to call me Sherah

So, last night I went to Publix to pick up a few things for our potluck in Nutrition. While I was at the store I decided to pick up a gallon of milk and a gallon of water. As I was getting a hold of my three bags to leave, I realized that the milk and water in one hand was a little much. But what is there to do? Only two hands and three bags. The other bag was full. I did not use a cart for shopping, just the hand basket. Plus, the bag boy did not offer me help to my car. He probably thought "it's only three bags." I figured I am an adult. I have carried at least five bags in one hand before. I can do this. (this is all a matter of about a 2 second thought process) So, I grabbed my bags. That was all there was to do. Just three bags... I wish I could have seen my face. I did my best not to make an "aaaaahhh- this is way too heavy" face. I seriously had to hold myself back from deep breathing. The police officer on the way out said "have a good night." I was relieved to say "thank you" in a clear, unstrained voice- with a half smile even. I wanted to say, "please help me." It worked out- I didn't drop anything. The cherry on top is that when I got home I actually had more than a half gallon of milk in the fridge. And in case you want to know, a gallon of milk weighs more than a gallon of water.

3 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

Ha! Hilarious! Thanks, sis. Just what I needed. At least you didn't talk like a man or grunt or anything. It'd be a shame since you're a regular there. This way, maybe no one even knows.

Yeah, I must say, I have to "take it back" when I inferred that Germans weren't as helpful in that regard (helping strangers out with things). I've been told it is true, but here in Kandern, at least with my experience is people have been so helpful and friendly.

AND get this, they have parking "nuer fuer frauen." Know what that means? Women only parking! Nice. You know how much I tip my hat to the South for its "gentleman" culture, but they could take some notes here. ;)

Let's see, I'm guessing the water was for hurricane supply? And how interesting that milk is heavier than water. That does make sense. Sounds like a great real-life math problem (figuring out how to distribute the objects). :)

So, totally off subject, but I had some stinky fish in a can for supper, and let's just say no more canned herringsfilet fur mich (for me). It stunk the whole house up, and then so, okay, talk about totally overreacting, but about an hour later, my throat started itching for a few minutes and feeling kind of weird, and I thought, "Great! I'm probably allergic, and this must be what it's like for your throat to close up. Our phone's not working (for real). So I'll have to point to someone's phone number and write down for Viki to call from the phone booth." (She's really bright and capable, but in a paniced situation in a foreign place, you need all the help you can get). So silly, I know, but it's been that kind of week actually. And frankly, I did cry out to the Lord to save me, and He does that kind of stuff. So on second thought, little Miss "I hate wasting anything" is chucking the leftovers in the trash! Didn't have to twist MY arm. ;)

Alright, well, for next time, remember, it's never too late to set things down and go get a cart. (I know I woulda done the same thing).

Gute Nacht, meine Schwester!
Oh, and I'm pretty sure you were even Heman, right? (Of course only b/c he's even stronger than Shera). I'm still callin' on you to open the pickle jar. ;)

Ashley said...

Sorry about the gross "fish." Don't tell Dad or anyone else in the Lowcountry that you ate canned fish-uuhh. Thanks for still thinking me strong after my grocery bag incident. Now that you mention it, I do think y'all called me Heman. Maybe it's all in the wrist- the pickle jars and all.

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.