Tuesday, July 14, 2015

California

For some reason earlier today I was remembering my trip to California and God's faithfulness and perfect provisions for me. I remember in the fall of that year asking Laura to pray for me about the possibility of going to California for the summer to take a class at Biola and nanny for Peter and Jackie. I was trusting God for good things and He did not disappoint. It was very exciting for me both getting to step out in faith to trust God for big things but also just going to California. It was definitely the furtherst I had gone by myself. My first night I was so glad to get to the campus. It was evening. The halls were bare since it was summer. I would learn that there were a couple to a few people on the hall, but I sure didn't see anyone. My room was also bare but I could look out into a beautiful garden. The RA's were friendly and I was grateful for them. My first night I sat on my floor ready to pray and wind down for the night. I was so thankful so I surprised myself to start crying. Why am I crying? (I was not one to cry for "no reason"). I realized that I was lonely. Then, I realized it was really good to cry without hurting. My tears were welcome even though I had to enter into the sadness. The next morning I skipped breakfast in the cafeteria. Instead, I ate a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies, a handful of almonds, and a handful of dried cranberries that Nana Linda had bought for me from Trader Joes (my first Trader Joes experience!). Actually, she had made the cookies. Then, I went running. It was a nice long run around the beautiful neighborhoods. The weather was so cool I felt like I could run forever. Back for a shower. Then, a walk around campus to familiarize myself. There were people walking around campus and some smiled at me. I smiled back but I was actually on the verge of tears. No one knew I didn't no anyone and I was so lonely. I was dreading going to the cafeteria to eat. For some reason that was a really big deal to me. I couldn't bear having to be alone AND eat alone. I am sure I prayed. And He answered. To my relief, one of the maintenance men asked if I wanted to sit with them. I was so relieved and thankful. They were really nice and told me they weren't there during the weekends but during the week I was welcome to sit with them anytime. During the week, I enjoyed my routine. Breakfast. Run. Shower. Study. Lunch. Study. Walk. Supper. Class. Bed. But as the weekend approached I was dreading it. The thought of a whole lonely weekend in amazing California without any way to explore or anyone around was not a happy thought. The only thing in walking distance was Albertsons. I spoke with the family and you that Thursday night and I don't remember if I cried (I think so) but I begged for prayers not knowing what to do that weekend. You and Laura prayed for me. Thank you!
The next day was our planned field trip into L.A. I was the only one who was delighted when we got stuck in L.A. traffic delaying our arrival back home. So, I didn't have to go to the cafeteria or have a night alone because it was closed. Instead one of my classmates and I walked down to Subway or Albertsons or somewhere and got a sandwich. It was either that night or the next morning we learned of a beach trip offered by the R.A. YES! I would love to go! So, she took us to Santa Monica. It was a lot of fun and took care of lunch time. We also went to Cold Stone for the first time. At the time we didn't have on the East coast so that was a fun experience. When I got back I noticed there was a new girl on the hall!! I had seen her go into her room. So, before supper, I walked down the hall and knocked on her door. She opened a bit surprised. I introduced myself explaining I know that we don't know each other but wanted to see if she wanted to go the cafeteria together. A look of relief washed over her face and she confessed she had just been praying for someone to go to the cafeteria with when she realized that was ridiculous because she had not left her room! If she didn't know anyone and she wouldn't leave her room it was unlikely she would have anyone to go with. But then I knocked on her door. (I love that God doesn't despise our weakness but is able to answer our prayers even when we ask for the improbable). Me: I have actually been eating with the maintenance men during the week (nothing against the maintenance men but wondering if she might think that was lame). To my surprise, her: (Smile) I've been eating with security. Both of us: Laughter and a walk down to the cafeteria.
I was even more surprised upon arriving to the cafeteria when a young man whom I didn't know came up to me and said very confidently, "well, hello, stranger." I didn't know who this was but I was so glad to have human contact I didn't even care if he was mistaken. I made a "I don't think I know you" face and he said, "You're from SC?" My face lit up and I answered, "Yes!! Charleston." He said, "I'm from Columbia." No way!! He just happened to know the whole school that was on campus for ths summer (it seemed) and they were all eating outside. He invited me to join them. I then invited my new friend. Not only did we enjoy a fun conversation as they were intrigued by the S.C. girl. We also met new friends to eat with for the rest of our meals! Sunday a man from class took another classmate and I to church and lunch. I enjoyed getting to know the guys better and enjoy laughter and good conversation during the rest of my stay. My favorite memories from that meal are one of the guys asking if rice is a staple. Me: pause, "yes". Another explaining what strawberry shortcake is while another guy rolled his eyes and said, "She's from the South, not Mars, of course she knows what strawberry shortcake is." I was amused. Many questions about the South. Fun times. Anyway, I was just thinking about how God not only provided for me but WAY more than I ever could have asked or imagined. I am reminded to trust Him like that. Trust Him for good things. He is ready to answer.

No comments: