Tuesday I had my CPR recertification class for health care providers. It was a day class at UF in the old VA building on 8th Street. There were only several of us attending and our instructor was great. I started feeling feverish during the day but wanted to go ahead and get this all done with. We had a fun bunch. We watched the videos, practiced step by step, and then had to perform in completion- in front of everyone, I might add! I got a blister on my hand immediately after the first set of compressions. I was feeling like a wimp til I realized that is 100 compressions. That has never happened to me before so I am not sure what happened.
Not sure if you have done CPR training before? But, the reason for the subject is that the rate of compressions is at least 100 beats per minute which would follow along to the beat of the song, "Stayin Alive." See how fast that is? You don't want to sing, however, because you want to count. Think: Push hard and fast. One, two, three, four... thirty. You just use the palm of your hand(s) to push on the lower part of the breastbone about 2 inches (5cm). Two breaths watching the chest rise and then back to compressions until they start breathing on their own. It is a little different for children and infants. It is important to make sure the scene is safe first in case they are "down" due to something that could harm you. Call for help. Check pulse. Then... go! You may know all that.
If you watch them fall, quickly call for help first. If you come upon someone who is unresponse AND not breathing, start chest compressions. If they were choking and pass out, help them to the ground and begin chest compressions. Don't do a blind sweep in the mouth as this could lodge the object further down. If someone starts choking and is responsive, place your hands together above the belly button and well below the breastbone and give about 5 abdominal thrust in and upward. I have seen this work twice and heard it working other times. If it happens to you and no one is around you can use a chair.
Well, sorry if this has been boring. I didn't intend to give you a rehash of the class. It's just what came out as I started writing. And now I've got that song stuck in both of our heads! Stayin' Aliiii-iiii-i-iii-ve!
No comments:
Post a Comment