Tonight I went on a walk around the block while my banana bread was baking. It was GORGEOUS out. A perfect night. Cool breeze. Just lovely out. For some reason my thoughts went back to the year I spent in Charleston before moving here this round. I thought of Holden and how amazing he was. How perfect God's hand to put us together during that season. It was his first impressions of the world and relationships. I was in a season of rest and refreshment. The first time I met him he was three weeks old. He was lying on the bed and he took my breath away. He was so incredibly cute. I started out working nights so his mom could sleep. Then moved to days. I love the way he used to light up when he saw me. The way he would just look up at me when I talked to people. The way he would make that cute noise with his mouth open "haaaaahhhhhh." Laughing together. Walks downtown and especially to visit you and Mike at the market. I miss the way he would fall asleep on me as I wore him in the sling- his soft baby cheeks pressed against my chest sleeping peacefully on me. Taking pictures for his mama. Getting him dressed up for doctor appointments. Clipping his fingermails with my swiss army knife cause it was small and I had more control than with baby clippers (I would swaddle him first). Baths. Listening to African music and dancing. He was a short napper. First foods. First tummy time. First crawl. Watching tennis. His bear outfit. Making friends on our walks. Giving him bottles. Reading books. Fun outings like meeting Mom, Susie, Grace, and her parents at RBs in Mt Pleasant for lunch. Meeting Mom, Susie, Grace and Susan for tea at St. Philips. He was not a good shopper and especially hated J Crew. He loved the horses and dogs. He would look at me like I was drop dead gorgeous and then I would see myself in the mirror, ha. Oh. I loved him so much. That time was such a treasure. It's like God went out of his way to bless, refresh, and even heal me through little Holdie. Children are truly a gift from the Lord. God is so so good to us.
2 comments:
Heartbreaker Holden! That little boy has such an effect on so many! I love those memories too of y'all visiting at the Market. :) I remember my one time babysitting him after you had your wisdom teeth out. Pretty sure we left for a women's retreat that same day? I had big shoes to fill and certainly was no Ashley, but it blessed me to be with him that day. :) And I remember Susan walking down to swing dance when it was at East Bay. I'd encouraged her to. A little hard with a baby strapped on, but it was so good to see them! Yay for memories. :)
Not wisdom teeth (how could you forget I did that with you! Well, i see how you forgot as we basically slept for a week). This was gum surgery and I actually worked the day we left for Hilton Head (day 2 post op cause I actually took them at their word that I could go back to work the day after surgery- had to call you cause I could not in fact function heavy from meds). And yes, he certainly was quite the heartbreaker. I loved getting to be one of his closest friends early on.
Post a Comment