Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Zambia

Last night I reviewed the CDC and CIA websites in hopes of preparations for my upcoming trip. So, here is what I learned. Zambia is a landlocked country in the southern region of Africa a little larger than the size of Texas. It is a republic with an economic incline though poverty remains a severe issue from what I have read. The capitol is called Lusaka, which I believe is centrally located. The terrain in the southern region is hills and mountains. The climate is tropical with both dry and rainy seasons. God willing, I will be there just as dry season is finishing up which I prefer to the rainy season, hopeful to avoid malaria and dengue fever. Christianity is the primary religion with Muslim next. I am aware of the challenge of witch doctors in the area. English is the primary language though there are many tribal languages. I have a feeling there are not many English speakers amongst the locals where we will be but the camp is an operation of English speaking folks. The base is in Livingstone not too far from the famous, Victoria Falls, which I hope to visit. We will be living in tents and there is a base house somewhat near with running water and electricity (I think I remember her saying that). Maternal morbidity is 25 in the world with 4401 deaths out of 100,000 births. Infant morbidity is 19 in the world with 69+ out of 1000 births. The life expectancy is ~ 51 years old. Zambia is 10 in the world for HIV. Risk of major infectious disease is very high with diarrhea, typhoid, malaria, dengue fever, schiosomiasis, and rabies accounting for the illnesses. I imagine the high HIV rates contribute to the high risk of infection as the result is a compromised immune system. Pregnancy has the same effect on the immune system. I was told by the CDC to avoid "bushmeat" aka monkeys, bats, and dogs. I would like to say "don't worry" but since we plan to go into the bush (which I am excited about) who knows? I consider Julie a local by now and being the health care worker, I will trust her judgement... and God's provision. The camp will provide safe drinking water. Still, I have kefir every morning so hopefully my gut will be protected. I plan to bring Vit C packs in case I do get sick to help with dehydration and to strengthen my immune system. There is still a lot I do not know about what to expect both culturally and practically. But, that is part of the fun.

1 comment:

3LandSemeur said...

Wow. Very interesting. Sounds like a good plan you have. Trusting and asking that God will prepare and provide for you spiritually during these days just like the stored up gut protection from the Kefir. May your mind be stayed on Him...and may the minds of all of your family members be, too! Love you, Sis!