Monday, April 8, 2013

TGIM

Yeah, I'm one of the only people who was counting down the hours for Monday at 7 a.m. Boy, am I glad for our new schedule so that I could catch up on some much needed sleep this morning. So, it all started last Thursday. I was supposed to work a half day in the office which I was grateful for since I was anticipating a busy weekend. I was looking forward to getting a few things done and resting. I woke up dreaming that I had only gotten an hour of sleep and I actually felt like I did, so I was tired. I almost fell asleep sitting on the edge of my bed. I was praying for the day, acknowledging that He was in control and consenting to what He chose to give me for the day even if it was different than what I was expecting. I was still praying when my phone rang. It was my boss who was on call. She had locked herself out of her car and couldn't get to the other side of town to assess our pt whose water had broken the day before. We needed to determine if she would continue to labor at home or transfer to the hospital. So, we traded. She stayed at the office to see pts. I drove to the other side of town. Long story short, I admitted the pt into labor and gave her the option to remain at home or transfer. She was very tired. We stayed home for a bit- walked around the neighborhood on the dreary day out. We made the decision to transfer a little before noon and headed to Shands. I was planning to stay until she was assessed and then leave since she had a doula and was okay with the plan. Not to mention, Cindy, our CNM would be joining later for the delivery. She ended up making a lot of progress so I decided to stay. I stayed for the remainer of the day and we finally had a baby at 11:59 p.m. I had wanted to be at their birth and was glad to be there. It was around 2 a.m. when I got home and by this time I was feeling nauseas. I went to bed and was woken by the pager around 7:45... twice. One pt thought her water broke. The other was contracting. I met the first mom in the office hoping I would not throw up in our appointment. She was not ruptured fortunately so I sent them home. Sharon went to the other mother's house to give antibiotics while I saw patients. I finished the morning in clinic fighting back the urge to vomit the whole morning. Got home to hopefully rest for a couple of hours before attending the home birth. I felt really bad. Got into bed. Pager goes off. Out of bed. Spoke with pt, charted, back to bed. This was rough. I decided not to give in to self-pity. Even if the pager went off the whole weekend and even if I did throw up I would not give in. I trust You. I get in bed. I receive a call that it is time to head over to the pt's home. Thank you for your prayers. I arrive and make sure everything is set up. I feel slightly better. Labor, encourage, birth, suture, postpartum care and newborn exam, leave their house around 8 p.m. I had only eaten 2 saltines and perrier so I had some more at home plus some Vitamin water. I was encouraged how much strength I had to help this woman when I had felt so terrible myself. Once I was out of the birth scene I was still not feeling well, but had been too distracted to notice. Internet didn't work so I couldn't chart. Bummer. Sat in the quiet house completely content to be His and to trust Him for all things. Wide awake instead of to bed. Slept in Saturday morning. Gorgeous day. I charted from the birth, went out to one of my favorite trails for a walk, and made a stop to the grocery store. In the meantime, I got a call from a first time mom who might be in labor. I was fixing supper when I got called again. Ate. Met pt at BC to evaluate. Sent her home. Home. She called again- I answered her questions. Charted, bath to wind down, short massage with Joanna, then to bed. Still not feeling great, but food was being tolerated so far. In bed a couple of minutes and pager goes off. It was a couple who has a history of short labors who live 45 minutes away. I told the husband to come on over and I would be ready for them. It was a little before midnight. She gave birth at 0240. Got home around 6:15 a.m. Ate. Shower. Into bed. Sleep 30 minutes and pager off again. NO!! It was the same couple I had already talked to three times this weekend. Back to office to assess and had to repeat the same instructions I had given the night before. No, it is not time. This is what you are looking for... Home. Into bed. Pager goes off. It was a first time mom and her water was broken. I called Cindy who graciously accepted my request to take the phones for a few hours so I could sleep. I transferred the calls to her and slept for about 4 hours. I texted her to check in. While I was sleeping our first time mom had come in for assessment and delivered!! I was happy for her and relieved that one was out of the way. In the meantime, another mom had called who thought her water was broken. Came in to be assessed and no rupture. I got up, ate a snack, and headed to previous pt's home for postpartum visit. I had just arrived when the same couple who really wanted to be in labor called again. I told her I would call back. Midwife from BC called and needed me to bring some fluids- they had a situation. I finish assessment and head to BC. I help with the situation and assess my other pt. She in fact is in labor. I tell them I need to run home to get a few things and eat and will be back within the hour. Home, grab clothes, pick up Panera for Cindy and I. Back, Eat. Work hard to help other mother ready to go home. Fix room for new pt. Charting is up to date. I assess her again and her water breaks while I assess her. I lie down to rest for a couple of hours, leaving my assisstant specific instructions including schedule of vital signs and to wake me for anything. Down 20 minutes and decide to get up wondering if she really is as close as she sounds. I listen. I finish off my Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar and drink some water. When I assess her she is in fact ready. Thank you, LORD!! Delivery @ 2314. Somewhat eventful postpartum including her passing out in the shower. Leave BC around 3 or 3:30 a.m. somewhat fearful of going home that once I lay my head down that darn pager will go off. I would rather just stay up almost. I was happy when I woke up at 8 a.m. and no more calls. I was surprised I didn't fall back asleep. About 30 minutes later I fell asleep and slept til 1 p.m. There were times when I LOVED and HATED my job in the same day over the weekend. We actually had a handful of complications involved which resolved well with proper treatment. He provided strength when I needed that and then Cindy when I didn't have the strength. Overall, I enjoyed it. Two mothers I have delivered over the past couple of years were actually attending two of the births and it was special to spend time with them during birth. Lots of sweet babies. Different personalities. I am glad for a few days off!

2 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

Whew, I'm exhausted! ;) That's hard core. Good thing for all of those Belton and State weeks...trained us for endurance and to push beyond our limits. He's good at preparing us for things in advance. Proud of you and happy that you made it through...and with so many lives touched! I'm always humbled by the moms who are "ready" to deliver before it's time b/c I can relate to parts of my own life. Glad they have you to calmly and confidently remind them of what to do until it's time and that the time is coming. Oh, and you know this, but I love Mondays! At least for this season in my life. :)

Ashley said...

Cool that you can love Mondays- that is a blessing. I don't mind them either, but some are better than others:)