Tonight one of my roomates told me that she is going surfing for the first time this coming weekend. This brought up the story of my own first time surfing. And so I won't forget it in the future, I decided I would write it down on bloggie for you... and for me:).
Hopefully my memory doesn't fail me 12 years later... So, I had been wanting to go surfing but did not necessarily want our friends to know. Most of the guys at church surfed and that wasn't what it was about to me. It just sounded like fun. I love being on top of the water. Plus, we used to enjoy wakeboarding with Sarah. Surfing seemed like it would be wonderful. Not to mention, I was up for the adventure of it all. To my pleasant surprise, Sarah told me she had been wanting to go too when I saw her out at Gangee's one Sunday afternoon. Sweet! So, we made plans (hush, hush) to try it out the next week. Just her and myself. (You were in France in case you are wondering).
First, I checked the weather report. I wasn't sure what I was listening out for, but from my deep sea fishing experience the waves didn't sound like they might even be good enough to surf. Still, we were determined. Yeah, we will still give it a try. (I did not take into consideration that small seas for fishing are large waves for surfing) Next, we both needed a board. I could have asked to borrow one, but no one was supposed to know about this. We decided to rent one each from McKevlins for a couple of hours ($10 per hour). We were excited. Good old adventure with Sarah just like back in the days! Yeah! So, we start driving. Man, the beach is PACKED. Can't go there- Becca goes to lay out there. Can't go there- that's where all the Calvary crowd hangs out. Oh, we're at the washout- definately not going there. Well, we can go to 10th if we need to... Oh, Becca probably won't be there... what are the chances? We agreed. Fourth street it is. What do you know? Rebecca was there and so were about 50 other people. Oh well. It will be fine. We chat with Becca and then head to the waves with our boards.
On the way to the waves, I realize I don't know what to do. Like, I don't even know what to do at all. I remember walking out there and realizing I didn't know what to do. I remember thinking Sarah would probably be surprised when I told her I didn't know what to do. I also felt sheepish being the older of the two. But, what else was there to do except tell her? Through somewhat of a mumble I told her, "I don't know what to do." It felt good to just let her know even if I did feel dumb. To my surprise/horror she mumbled, "yeah, me neither." What? Sarah, the athlete/amazing wakeboarder! NOT. GOOD. That was NOT what I was expecting her to say. Did I mention EVERYONE on the beach including Rebecca were watching us. What? Never seen a girl surf before? But, we did what I think is good advice for anyone who finds themselves in a spot where they don't know what to do but have all the right equipment. We walkded forward. I remember Sarah saying something like, "I know you have to paddle." We did know you had to get in the water:). That helped. Once we were in the water, I did not feel quite so desperate. We put our leashes on. We walked next to our board and then got on and started paddling. That
really helped. Even though I had no idea what I was doing, I was doing it. I don't remember how we decided where to turn around... fear? curiosity? wanting to get this whole experience over with? Not that it matters what everyone was thinking, but at least we probably looked like we knew what we were doing at this point. That didn't last long:). Mostly we walked back down the beach with our longboards (which were much bigger than both of us). Did I say it was WINDY? I just remember laughing and struggling to carry that board OVER and OVER down the beach and then missing waves and starting over. Rob eventually came and he helped Sarah catch waves. We had a good time and mostly a good laugh.
I have to say I do think of that story often. I remember not knowing what to do at all. I remember everyone watching. And, I remember figuring it out as we just did what we knew to do and the rest came to us as we went. Little did I know how much ahead in life I had of not knowing what to do and figuring it out as I go along. I love the lesson of that day and the life application. I especially love the memory and that it was with Sarah. Should have known! Maybe we looked silly to others. Maybe we weren't so successful with the waves. But, Sarah and I will always remember the day we went surfing!
4 comments:
Sissy, I already knew the story, but you had me captivated and shocked as I read your story. Ha! Yes, that is definitely something that would happen with Sarah. I think it's hilarious, but I also love the life and--leave it to me to find a spiritual--application. That seems to be a message I keep getting lately: sometimes we have to act for God to move. That's faith. So I loved what you wrote. :) And I love that you DID it. So...can't remember...did you ever get up? Either way, sounds like it was fun and definitely a good memory!! :)
I get confused between the time I went with Sarah and the time I went with the guys from church. I don't know if I even really caught a wave with Sarah. I do know that out of the three times I have been surfing I have not successfully caught a wave, stood up, and rode it. I have done each, just not together... like the goal:)
Well, I think I did get up and ride a wave for all of 1-2 seconds, but I don't think that counts:)
Heck yeah, it counts! Don't despise the humble beginnings! ;)
Post a Comment