Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Best Job in the World

I often hear that I have the best job in the world. I think so. Actually, I think being a mother is the best job in the world although the toughest. But as far as paid jobs go, I have to agree I've got an amazing one. However, when people tell me this, I realize they don't know the half of what goes into it. Plus, we deal with our share of unhappy moments. In the past couple of weeks I have sent three women in for ultrasounds to rule out miscarriage. Two out of the three I had to confirm that they, in fact, were experiencing a loss. Instead of just sitting with them on the phone and comforting them, I had to then explain what to expect, when to call, and ask a few questions. It is not fun. I am grateful for the empathy the Lord has given me. Even still, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child especially when he or she is still inside of you. I often feel inadequate and continually remind myself that He is the One who called me (knowing just well that I have not experienced many of the things I handle on a daily basis). This is just one example of many challenges.

Decelerations. Infections. Premature rupture of membranes. Asynclitic babies during labor. Preeclampsia. Placenta previas. Postpartum hemorrhages. Posterior babies. Failure to progress. Difficult patients- I am whispering that one. Don't get me started with the medical profession. An emerging profession and all that goes with it (ex. why do you have to learn math to be a midwife?) And some things we just have to keep to ourselves. But, even still, yes. I have one of the best jobs in the world. It is an honor and I LOVE my job.

2 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

I love your job, too, sissy (for you, of course). :) Even though I don't have to experience it, I think I have empathy for YOU and the difficulties you face. The night calls alone would do me in, much less the emotional side. Just one question: so, are you insituating that midwives do or don't need math. Hey...just asking!

Ashley said...

We do! Our math teacher wasn't kidding when she promised us we would need to know math even if we are not a math teacher or architect. I had to slip that in since it has come up more than once. One day I decided the next time somebody asked that I would tell them it is so we can count how many toes the baby has. Mostly for percentage of weight loss on baby during postpartum, time between rupture of membranes to birth, adding up hours and minutes from birth to stages of labor, etc. No biggies:)