Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chrissy's Wedding

It was a beautiful day for a wedding. Kendra, Gram, Hannah, and I drove out together to the Brown farm. Melrose reminds me so much of a Southern Anne of Green Gables. We were all dressed up and it was beautiful and a wonderful occasion. We made our way down the dirt road in our high heels (minus Gram, of course).

We got there just on time so there were many people already there. The tables were set up for the supper following the wedding. The chairs were set up under the avenue of pecan trees. We sat in the back behind Gram's family. We had been seated only a few minutes when Gram asked Kendra what time it was. She was the only one of us wearing a watch. She informed him that her watch did not actually tell the time. It was just an accessory. Of course, the four of us responded in stifled laughter which seems to be the norm when we all get together. We were all bent over trying to keep quiet and we did a good job. Being in the back was very helpful.

The bridesmaids wore grey dresses and carried yellow flowers. Chrissy wore a beautiful lace dress with a yellow ribbon (worn by her mother, but redesigned). The song was just perfect. I'll see if I can get the lyrics sometime. A handful of people who have influenced their lives in Christ were asked to stand in place and read a scripture. I took it in... the word of God being spoken out loud over their marriage... over and over. Then, some prayers from the prayer book were spoken after they were proclaimed husband and wife to which we all affirmed through an "Amen" after each one. They danced down the isle and then had a receiving line. Chrissy looked absolutely gorgeous.

Refreshments were served while the wedding party took pictures. We enjoyed exploring the grounds and catching up with Gram and Hannah. They had made peach wine which was delicious! I was surprised to like it so much since I normally don't care for white or fruity. Very good though. The sun was going down and it was starting to get chilly.

We chose seats with Gram's family at the end of one of the beautifully decorated tables outside behind the back porch. Chrissy and John were in our view. The meal was catered barbeque- a whole hog with an apple in his mouth for the special occasion:). They also served red rice, green beans, mashed potatoes, chicken, rolls, and salad. After the meal, we went inside the beautiful house for the cake to be cut. It was good to warm up inside and I even got some coffee just to keep me warm.

Next, we made our way to the barn for some dancing. It was so cold with the concrete floor that I was shaking. I had been hoping we would get to do some contra dancing, but was not sure if I would be up for it with my high heels slipping slightly from my panty hose. But, I decided to just try it out and see if I made it. Of course, it was so much fun that I quickly forgot about my discomfort. We all had so much fun making a very large circle learning the dances. There were young people, older people, and even a few children. It was fun to dance with so many people we didn't know. The other benefit was the WARMTH it provided. Oh, that was nice. I especially enjoyed watching Chrissy, her sisters, and a few friends clogging (without clogs) to one of the songs. Very impressive. That would be a fun one to learn:).

They also had a picture booth set up outside where you could take pictures and see what you looked like. Hannah, Kendra, and I did a regular posed shot as we couldn't decide on what all to do. I am sure they will have a good time looking at all the photos.

Finally, they left the barn with all of us lined up with sparklers. We walked back down the long dirt road. We enjoyed some more laughs on the way back to Gainesville. And finished the weekend off with a really great morning at Servants of Christ. They always joke about being introverts and how I am the only who gets everyone together so now that I am gone no one gets together. So, as we said our goodbyes we thanked Chrissy for having a wedding so we could all get together. Mmm, I really love these friends.

1 comment:

3LandSemeur said...

So cool, sis! I don't usually use this word in a serious tone, but it sounds like a lovely time. Glad you wrote. Sorry we got "cut off" yesterday, but it was Christine from France, just as I had suspected. So good to talk, though, my French is getting so rusty. :( Anyhow, everything sounds great. And it's always nice to make new memories. :)