Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Filipino

So, there used to around 70 languages in the Philippines due to the influence of other coutries and islands nearby. Finally, American and Filipino were labeled the official language. So, I am trying to teach myself some words before I go. I definately hope to find more, but these are some I came across...

hello mabuhay (mah-boo-hay)
how are you? kumusta ka? (koo moos tah kah)
yes oo (oh-oo)
no hindi (hin dih)
please paki (pah kee)
thank you salamat (sa lah mat)

Good morning Magandang umaga
I don't know hindi ko alam

3 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

So cool, sis! So, not to get all technical, but I have a question. Is this a non-stressed language, meaning they place the same amount of stress on each syllable (like French and Spanish)? I'm guessing so b/c you don't have stress marks. I was wondering where to place the stress on the multi-syllable words. Anyhow, very cool of you to learn some Filipino before ya go. I mentioned learning a little Arabic b/f Morocco, but I need to get going, huh? One of these days...sigh...

Ashley said...

Don't know about that. First, no stress marks in the book I got this from. Second, I would not know how to do that anyway!

Ashley said...

Okay, so mabuhay does not mean hello it means welcome and maybe some of the others are wrong?