Monday, April 19, 2010

Pistachios and Ice Chips

Last week we transferred a couple to Shands because their baby was in a face presentation. This means the presenting part upon examination is the face instead of the vertex (head). It is very uncommon. Most babies are born via cesarean with this presentation. There are two types- mentum anterior or mentum posterior. Mentum anterior is good as the baby will flex his or her chin through the birth canal and be born this way. Mentum posterior will not fit through the pelvis and needs to turn or the baby will not be born this way, aka cesarean in the US. We transferred to see if they could continue to labor at the hospital or if she would be an immediate ceserean. I decided to go with them to the hospital for support. Good report-trial of labor!

We arrived around 10 am. They were so busy that we did not have our own room until 5o'clock in the evening. We had a bed surrounded by a curtain in the triage area. We labored in there the whole time except for a walk around the floor with a break on a very small "porch" leading to a stairwell outdoors- a 45 min break. At one point, I had to laugh as the husband offered his wife ice chips. She just was not able to keep anything else down, poor thing. He himself was eating pistachios to stay well nourished. So, he is eating pistachios. She is eating ice chips. I took a quick trip down to Chick-fil-a!

She had made progress when we arrived to the hospital upon assessment. By observation, it seemed to me that she was continuing to make good progress. When she was assessed next at 7 pm, no progress. We are told this could mean this baby is as far as he or she would fit. Just won't know yet. Contractions slow down a bit and we need them to finish labor. So, they give her pitocin. Now, she is not able to move around because they will continuously monitor the baby. We try changing positions as much as possible, but it is difficult. Staying in bed is so much harder for her to cope, so much more painful. She is a trooper though. She tenses because they are so strong and she needs to move around. Many interruuptions. An offer for pain medication. She looked at me, "can I do this?" I leave the choice to her. Not many women make it through Pitocin without pain medication, though I have labored with three now who have done it. I tell her to keep doing what she is doing. One step at a time. Let's see what happens after a bit.

Finally, progress. She is working so hard. Contractions are so strong. I hate that she is confined. She is doing this the hardest way possible except that she is surrounded by love. We help as much as possible- massage, silence, encouragement, words here and there. Finally, she is complete. It is time to push. She does not have to push too long. Baby is born at 12:46 am. It's a girl! Mom cries. She keep thanking everyone for helping. She thanks the doctor for believing in her. She thanks me for staying with her the whole time. We are all happy. It was a privilege to be a witness to a unique birth that not many will see.

1 comment:

3LandSemeur said...

Ash, thanks. I love hearing about your life especially when it involves birth. She wasn't the only trooper, you know. You were, too! I know that was among many other births at the time and difficult ones at that!
I'm so glad you were with her. While I don't think such a birth "counts" for you since you didn't deliver, I think it's neat that you still get to learn...about this type of birth that midwives aren't supposed to deliver (is this right?) and, as you say, many wouldn't see. But you did b/c you were with her. I'm so glad you were with her, sis.
And I know it must be so torturous to see your patients--your moms--have to be confined and under restricting conditions, but also as you say, surrounding love has such power. Reminds me of how love covers a multitude of sin (not saying a hospital delivery room is sin, just that it's not a place of freedom to deliver any way).
Anyhow, thanks so much, sis. Thinking of you lots. Love you. Love the title, too.