Saturday, February 27, 2010

No Longer Strangers

Not too long ago I attended a birth for a mom I had never met before. This happens occasionally. In fact, some of my favorite births (where we bond the most) I have not met them before. Funny how life goes like that. This particular birth the mother was expecting a certain woman to be at her birth who was not able to be present. She did not know this woman would not be present. We assessed her and admitted her into labor. She was well into labor when she came in. I came in and out of the room quietly without using many words. A word here and there of encouragement. I explained that we were not telling her what to do because she was doing exactly what we would tell her to do. You are doing perfect and making good progress. She nodded. She was very tired and had not slept the night before. Out of the tub. I squatted with her for a contraction. She breathes slowly letting the contraction build, relaxing into it. She leaned her head on my shoulder. I fixed her hair because she was hot and her hair was falling down. She was getting more tired. Would you like us to break your water? Yes. One hour later a baby girl born in the water. Mom cried. We took care of baby and eventually got her out of the water and onto Dad. I looked at the mother with a smile in my eyes and told her congratulations. She looked at me her eyes smiling as well and thanked me. When the time came for them to go home, she came up to me and joked with a smile, "Nice to meet you, Ashley." We gave each other a big hug and I said, "you too. It was an honor."

2 comments:

3LandSemeur said...

Sigh...like reading a good book, but better b/c I know...well, at least one of the characters. Very cool, sis.
I like how you told her the reason you weren't telling her what to do is b/c she's doing the right thing.
I think that can be true in life. Sometimes we might worry when there's no affirmation, but actually the fact that there's no correction speaks for itself.
Sometimes.
Anyhow, love this. Thanks for sharing.

3LandSemeur said...

ps--You can be my midwife any time. :) :)