After tennis, I decided to pick up supper with my gift card since I was over that way. I figured if I wait any longer it may deduct money. We wouldn't want
that to happen:). I was directed to the bar for my take out order. I scooted in between a couple to my left and a business man to the right. I thought I'd be in out and out. Little did I know... They were busy and short one man. The girl who was supposed to take my order at the bar was mixing many drinks and complaining to her coworker that she could not take any to go orders.
Great. I was thinking maybe I should just leave. But I was already there. The wait was a little awkward- wondering if they were ever going to help me, not knowing the others beside me. The man to my right was a regular I figured out. I was wondering what would make a person a regular at the Ruby Tuesday bar. But, I did not want to be nosy. Since I had to sit there for a while I wanted to strike up a conversation. But, "do you come here often?" was the only thing I could think of and that sounds like a pick up line. "Where do you work?" was too blunt for a stranger. I decided just to keep to myself even if I might seem unfriendly or strange. After a while we began a conversation. We talked about what we do for work. He thought it was neat that I work with birth and commented that it must be rewarding. He works in advertising. It is monotonous. I discovered that he comes to the bar in Ruby Tuesday while his fiance goes shopping. He worked at Ruby Tuesday for 6 years in the past. They have been together for 7 and are going to get married at the Bawman Center (the place to get married in Gainesville) next month. I congratulated him and he thanked me. My food finally came. He said that it was nice talking. I told him to enjoy his wedding and his marriage. I tipped the girl with a blockbuster card since I did not have any cash on me. Then, I got home and I don't know what I did eat, but it was not shrimp diablo!
3 comments:
Ruby Tuesday. They have a good salad bar. In Charleston, they've got a good-sounding quiche, but last time I went and planned to order it, they were slam out. So the salad bar was the next best thing. Not as filling, but it was late anyway.
That's cool that you and "The Regular" were able to strike up a conversation after all. That made me happy. Sounds like he's thinking about life and what's important. May the Lord use your conversation...
Shrimp diablo, huh? Do you know what that means? Not to be paranoid, but in my opinion, you're better off not getting it. Was it even shrimp or something completely different that you did get? Mmm, haven't had shrimp since July. Uncle John's at the dock...yum.
Funny you gave her a Blockbuster card.
Well, Ash, have a great week. He is your God, your One and Only, your First and Last, the One with the double-edge sword, the Son of God. Keep saying yes to Him. I'm constantly amazed how much He's changing me by simply saying yes.
I love you, sweet Ashley!
I have no idea what diablo means or what language it is. But it was the only thing on the menu that fit my interest given the $10 price range I had to choose from-without completely wasting money. And yes, it may sound silly, but I had the sense that God did use that awkward encounter, which is the only reason I was able to appreciate my unknown pasta. No, it did not have shrimp which was my give away that it was no shrimp diablo. At least, I HOPE that wasn't shrimp. Cool thing? Last night at the Wagner's we had shrimp with our supper from the farmer's market. Then Kate and I got Hagen Dass ice cream to eat while we watched the Gators game. That's German, right? You've got to get Caramel Cone. YUM!
So, diablo is Spanish for devil. I guessed b/c French it's diable, but I asked Viki to be sure, and she confirmed. Anyhow, about the Haagen Das or however it's spelled, I've HEARD it's a faux German phrase. It does sound German, but I think it's made up! Ohh, got to go to class. Recess is about up!
Post a Comment